Tomorrow is my birthday. I was born on October 25, 1991.
I will be 20 years old; no longer a teenager.
One year closer to 21… one year further from the innocence of childhood.
Growing older has its pros and cons.
It gets so overwhelming sometimes! I am a very independent person; I always have been. I love being out on my own. But sometimes I miss those days when I didn’t have to make the hard decisions, when Mom and Dad were there to decide for me, to take away the pressure of choosing the right thing. I miss at times not having to think… 😛
And sometimes I appreciate being able to choose for myself, being responsible for my decisions and my life. I revel in the art of deep thinking, of comparing the pros and cons, of being in charge.
But then it can get overwhelming. SO MANY OPTIONS!
- What do I want to wear today? (Difficult.)
- What am I going to do in my free time? (Be productive and do homework, or take a much needed break and watch tv?)
- When am I going to eat today?
- Do I want to see people today and be social? Or take a “me” day?
- What classes should I take next semester?
- Should I add a double major?
- What programs do I need to plan for my residence hall this month?
- What should I put on my bulletin board?
- When do I have time to read my bible?
- Do I have time for bible study tonight?
- When am I going to go grocery shopping?
- When am I going to sleep?
- What time do I have to wake up again?
There are many times when I miss the innocence of childhood; I miss not being so educated and aware of what’s going on in the world today. I miss the naïvety.
And then I don’t. I love growing up! I love being my own person! I love the responsibility (even though it can get tiring and overwhelming). I love the independence and the freedom.
20 will be a stepping stone for me tomorrow. I am moving out of my teenage years into the real adult years. Wish me luck.