Let me ask y’all one question. How can you have a campus christian ministry, that preaches the great word of God, that is ashamed of having Christ in the ministry’s name?
I find this story very interesting because there is a Campus Crusades for Christ at my university. They are huge, in fact. I believe that it is the biggest Christian student organization on campus. And I will see first hand the decision to change its name to “Cru.”
Cru. What is Cru? It’s absolutely nothing. It’s meaningless.
The Vice President was interviewed in this article about the name change. The group’s decision to change its name is laughable.
Let’s go through the reasons.
- The name was getting in the way of accomplishing their mission. (Which is? How was it getting in the way?)
- Christians and non-Christians like were being alienated by the name (By the name of Christ? Which is who you preach for? Interesting… And why were they feeling alienated? In what ways?)
- Overseas sensitivity (Sensitivities to what? Sellers doesn’t expand on this point.)
- It was becoming a hindrance because people were referring it back to the middle ages- forcing Christianity on the world (Christ’s name as a hindrance? I would like to know how many people feel offended hearing the word “crusade”)
- Taking Christ out of their name would help them more effectively serve their mission and teach the Gospels
- It will enable them to have conversations with people who would otherwise be turned off by a more “overtly Christian name.”